Trans Twitter polls

I got in another argument with Blaire White recently and well, in the end I decided to run a poll just to survey the opinions of trans around Twitter. I asked a few people to RT from around the tranny twitosphere and honestly I think we got a good amount of people involved. Heck, we had even more than some of the scientific studies on trans folk.

Now let me be clear, I by no means think that these polls are in any way conclusive, or even accurate to any degree. Though it would be super cool to get some actual scientific data and properly survey trans people on their opinions. I know some people in gender clinics in the UK and I might try and do it, but for now here’s what I think of the results we got.

First poll asked Would you like to have transitioned earlier? 74% voted see results, 17% yes and 9% no. Discounting the 74% from the 593 we’re left with 154.18 – of which 83.81 voted yes  and 44,37 who voted now. Almost double were in favour of earlier transitions for themselves, which I kinda expected to be honest.

This doesn’t entirely back up my position on puberty blockers though unfortunately, there’s no telling what age the voters transitioned at, no telling how happy they are with their transitions now, or whether they’re MtF or FtM. All of this information is really important to know to draw any real conclusions from this poll. But it was fun to do.

What it does do is warrant more investigation, and I intend to present this blog post to the gender clinics across the UK with a survey. Hopefully they will be happy to help and distribute the survey amongst their patients and patient groups – preferably the ones who are already post-transition. Though I’ll include controls for that in the survey once I’ve properly had chance to think about the questions.

Second poll asked If there was a pill that would cure GD sans transition – would you have taken it pre-transition? Which I think is a far deeper conversation to be had amonst trans people. A poll can’t really do it justice, as there’s a lot of nuance. Would be awesome to hear what prominent YouTube trans people like Yorrick, Blaire, Theryn Meyer, Zinnia Jones, Riley Jay Dennis, Milo Stewart all had to say about it. I think there would be a lot of diversity to the answers. So hopefully I can persuade some of them to have the conversation on their channels.

At first my response was that I think if I was pre-transition I would have taken the pill. For me the dysphoria is the reason I transitioned, I’m just doing my best to live without it. Yet I also get this little nagging feeling in the back of my head. I began medical transition at around 21, but by then I had already almost entirely socially transitioned – I just hadn’t told anyone about it at all. It’s hard to really tell when dysphoria had properly taken control of my life and shaped me into the person I am today.

I remember as far back as 14 looking up gender dysphoria and feeling everything click together. I remember that feeling of well everything just started to make a whole lot more sense and I can’t help feel that my inaction back then caused further repression and lead to me being such a disastrous mess for the remainder of my teen years.

Or even before then when I used to change in toilet cubicles because I felt my body was wrong and didn’t want anyone else to see it.

The question stopped being about curing dysphoria somewhat and started being more about what the impact on my life that would be. Heck yeah, without a doubt I don’t want dysphoria, but if I’d have taken this pill at 10 – my life would be so much different to if I’d taken it at 14, and that would be so much different to taking it at 19.

It really speaks to the insidious and far reaching nature of dysphoria in my opinion. Its too easy and heck, preferential, to look at dysphoria as just small and about certain parts of ourselves. Its just genital dysphoria, its just dysphoria about my height, its just dysphoria about my shoulder size, you know the common phrases. The compartmentalisation makes it way easier to tackle each problem. Its very rare that you get to take a step back and see just how big and interconnected the problem really is. That’s what this poll did for me.

My answered has wavered a little, but I think that ultimately I would still rather be rid of dysphoria. As it stands I still experience it and some days worse than others. It sucks to constantly be on guard about it. If the alternative was me but pre-trans and without dysphoria at all? I think counting the pros and cons of it the pros definitely come out on top.

How about you?

24 thoughts on “Trans Twitter polls

1. Louis Naughtic says:

Keep in mind, I’m not trans. I’m also neither supportive toward, or against, trans. I’m just interested in how the mind works, and outliers in data are often the most informative, so I think about the subject. It’s going to seem off-topic for a bit, but stick it through.

But so, estimates suggest that around 70-90% of the world believes in magic. Or religion, if you prefer. That means that at least 7 out of 10 people are functionally insane. Most of them are indoctrinated into their cults –excuse me, social groups– when young, when they lack any real reasoning skills, and are guided by wild emotions powering equally wild imaginations. And, of course, a need to please those around them.

In that vulnerable state, any idea can captivate them. Thus, promises of infinite happiness granted by omnipotent beings easily take hold. To maintain their faith, still ignorant of how their own minds truly work, they will away doubt, critical thinking, and cripple all forms of basic reasoning. By the time they’re older, when their minds begin to “crystallize”, it’s too late for them to change, to become rational and thus productive members of society, without extreme rehabilitation.

My point is: that psychological phenomenon as repeated itself billions of billions of times, in billions of billions of people, for thousands of years. From it, we should learn that people are more than capable of being completely incorrect about anything and everything, and will destroy their lives, and the lives of those around them, due to that commonly faulty reasoning.

Thus, I’m against allowing a child to make such a gargantuan choice as transitioning. The chances they’re right about anything, muchless how the extremely complex functions of mind and bod –which most people never understand, yet we’re to assume someone who is crippled in this department is also simultaneously hyper-aware of it while being completely out of control of it– approaches zero.

And I hate to say it, but we still don’t know if transgenderism is caused psychosomatically [is a form of psychosis], or biologic in origin [is due to phsychologic malformation]. In this situation, allowing children to transition is tantamount to human experimentation, without permission – on children. I genuinely don’t mean to be dramatic in making that statement. Consider.

Children are very, very stupid. They have no real understanding of the ramifications of transitioning, or even their own emotions that may lead them to desire it, and we’re giving them medications which will permanently alter them for a condition we don’t understand. In this situation, they can’t truly give consent. And we don’t understand what’s going to happen.

And while I support all research confirming the validity of transgenderism, I also support all research denying that validity – I’m only after the truth. Oddly, I never see and research. It’s as if the transgender community doesn’t have interest in it. Which leads me to question the validity, and thus whether or not children should be allowed.

2. Louis Naughtic says:

Ha, I replied there already. No, my stance remains. My issue is not the biologic ramifications, but the psychologic. Let me specify: I don’t care what anyone does to their body, at all; it’s their body. I care that transgenderism might be a form of psychosis, and encouraging it might be encouraging self-destructive psychologic patterns. Weird looking people don’t harm society, but crazy people regularly do.

I believe I said this elsewhere on your site, but I can’t recall: if transgenderism is merely a delusion, like anorexia, supporting transitioning is like given an anorexic liposuction: you are feeding their self-destructive psychology, which will only manifest in another form. So, if dysphoria is entirely psychosomatic, the real way to address it is therapy training transgenders to simply deal with their thoughts and emotions rather than repressing and masking them with another problem.

Honestly, I lean toward the psychosomatic source, given that many transgendered people have frivolous personalities – the exact type of personality common to people whom tend to be very immature and lack self-awareness and control. Whether my sample group is a poor one, or their transgenderism causes them to develop that frivolity [rather than visa verse], I don’t know.

Either way, I’m not interested in persecuting, merely solving. The simple solution is to get the research to determine the source, which will validate transgenderism in the public’s eye – if its actually biologically caused. But then, what if its irrefutably psychosomatic? What if you’re faced with the irrefutable proof that you’ve simply, completely, misinterpreted yourself? People do it every second of every day – it would be absolutely no surprise that it took the form of gender dysphoria.

• Tranime Girl (@tranimegirl) says:

If trasgenderism is some for of psychosis, and “feeding it” is so harmful, why have I, and many others who have finished transition, shown DRAMATIC improvement in overall mental health compared to pre-transition?
      Before transition, I was angry, self loathing, suicidal, lashed out violently at people, and hated every minute of my miserable existence. Now, I’m friendly, helpful, I love just about everyone who isn’t an asshat, wouldn’t dream of being violent outside of self defence, and even just laying here on my bed with my laptop – I’m enjoying just being alive, I’m happy. Pre-transition, I was terrified of the dark path my mind was headed down, and I bet people around me are far better off with post-transition me.

“Weird looking people don’t harm society, but crazy people regularly do.”
      1 – I’m not weird looking, so screw you on that one.
      2 – If crazy people regularly harm society, thank the gods I transitioned.

• Louis Naughtic says:

You’re missing the point. People misinterpret themselves and the world constantly, in every topic. Infact, it is far more common that people are wrong about any given piece of information, and the nature of their own thoughts and emotions, than they are right. As evidenced by religion. Even if you agree with one religion, that still proves my point, as most religions refute other religions.

• Louis Naughtic says:

People really aren’t that different. Some are smart, some are stupid. Some are mature, some are immature. Some have brain deformities which cause them to act in certain ways. All of it falls within certain parameters.

Consider this sloppy and over-simplified metaphor: a sealed, glass box, filled with sand, is regularly rotated. No matter where each individual grain of sand in within those mass of sand, it’s still just a box full of sand. Depending on the size of the container, and the quantity of sand, there could be billions, trillions, and even more, maximum arrangements of that sand – each arrangement different from the rest. But, its always just a box of sand.

• Louis Naughtic says:

No, the cause is extremely important. If it’s genuinely caused by brain deformity, then you solve the problem in one way. If the cause is psychologic, you solve it in a different way.

For example, let’s say that it is psychologically caused, that transgenderism is merely the result of a person misinterpreting their own thoughts and emotions. In that scenario, transitioning doesn’t necessarily solve the underlying faulty self-assessing, which, again, is likely to manifest in other issues. For example: the frivolity of character I earlier mentioned.

You may indeed be happier after transitioning than before, but that does not mean you are as happy as you could be. Remember: I genuinely support everyone’s mental health; I am not here out of and pathetic prejudice. But merely being happy is not a good measurement of mental health: druggies tend to be very happy while high; zealots tend to be happy while murdering anyone who isn’t in their particular cult.

• Tranime Girl (@tranimegirl) says:

*nods* And trans women tend to be happy during the dangerous act of being called by a feminine name and pronouns, and dressing femininely.

My point being, the zealot’s happiness harms others. The druggie, I don’t care, it’s his body, he can do what he wants with it.

Post-transition, I am at the happiest and most content I have ever been, despite other issues in my life that keep me from being as happy as I COULD be. Those are soon fixable though

• Louis Naughtic says:

Ya, and people don’t like being made fun of, but mature people just ignore it; not letting it get to them, then complaining about letting it get to them. I learned to ignore people making fun of me when I was seven years old. Infact, they often called me a fag. I just ignored them and went about my business, even after they regularly beat me up. But even if misgendering causes dysphoria, I still feel the same way: people need to learn to deal with their problems, not expect everyone around them to fuel possible Münchhausen syndromes.

As for druggies: most people are part of a community, thus their actions affect others. Thus druggies, in their usual lunacy, negatively affect others. If, on the other hand, these druggies simply lived in caves in the middle of no where, do whatever you want. But, since druggies rarely have much self-control, and most often behave savagely, they shouldn’t be allowed in society.

As for your happiness: I’m not saying you aren’t. And I’m not saying that’s a bad thing. I’m saying you MIGHT not have solved the actual SOURCE of the problem. That could mean you’re fine forever, it could also mean that theoretic source simply causes different issues.

And while I’m thinking about it, I should probably mention that I’m actually physically attracted to transgenders. It’s off topic, but just giving some perspective on my views here.

3. Tranime Girl (@tranimegirl) says:

Would I have liked to live life without dysphoria? Yes, of course.
    However, a cure, to make a trans person cis, comes with a very real ethical problem.
    I’ve know I’m a girl, inside, for as far back as I can remember. It’s who I am. I’d go as far as to say it’s the foundation the rest of my personality was built on. (Gender is not a social construct, there are indeed differences between the two) I firmly believe, based on my personal experience being me and from information I’ve read up on, that my brain is female, and my personality was built from experiences filtered through that female brain. I’ve never been a man, I’ve been a woman who looked like a man. I have no clue what it’s like to actually be a man, and I never will. I only know the experience of what a man’s body is like, and for me, a woman, it was awful.
    By the time I knew enough language to put that in to words and communicate it to someone else, by personality was already made. (Yes, it’s grown since then)
    If you were to then give me a pill to make the dysphoria just “go away”, what would that have done to who I am? What would be left of me? Who would I be? Obviously not me, I’d be someone new, someone who’s a man. More likely, such a pill wouldn’t actually have made me a man, just quieted the parts of my mind that made me a woman. I’d likely be a shell of my former self. What effects would that have? I doubt good ones.

And of course,
    I like me. I like who I am. I like the woman I am. I’m not thrilled about the body I was given, but the person inside that body is pretty awesome.

Unless they can determine transgenderism before someone’s first conscious thought, I’d be against such a cure. I think it’s unethical to make such a drastic change to the core of who someone is just for the sake of being more “normal”.

• Louis Naughtic says:

Well, I find the idea, that males and females inherently interpret the world differently, as blatantly incorrect and sexist. Life is a collection of facts that don’t change merely because you have a penis/vagina. But incorrect interpretations of those facts tend to be similar, based on how one is told to interpret them.

That is to say: males are taught to incorrectly view the world one way, females another. None of it matters, because logic has absolutely nothing to do with gender. Its merely that, when young, our brains simply aren’t physically designed to handle the gargantuan calculations required to comprehend reality. So, we’re taught to think and act in a certain way, but we’re still too young to think for ourselves, so our thoughts fall into predictable, faulty patterns.

For myself, even though I fulfill many positive masculine stereotypes, I’m not emotionally invested in how other’s perceive those traits in me. Anyone who places value on those traits are irrelevant to me, because those traits don’t fucking matter. Having a huge dick and a six-pack wouldn’t make me a sane,solidaritous, and hard-working person. Having a really tight vagina and long hair doesn’t make me capable of emotional intimacy and empathy.

So, that’s another reason I question the legitimacy of dysphoria: transgendered people often prioritize fulfilling the stereotypes of their chosen gender. Traits which have no real value. Frivolous traits. But, again, I accept that behavior may be a symptom that accompanies the brain deformities which could legitimately cause dysphoria.

Self-aware, mature people, don’t give two fucks about their bodies, except what is necessary to stay healthy. The body is extremely simple and boring compared to the vast and rich world that a healthy mind creates within itself. So, again, it’s very hard for me to take transgendered people seriously when they so fervently seek to “pass” or behave in gender-specific ways. You know what mature people do to attract attention? The fucking dishes. They keep their word. They objectively address problems. They open up.

But, I genuinely don’t mean to start sounding dismissive. I fully recognize that my leanings toward dysphoria being psychosomatic lacks the supporting evidence of hard-science. And I don’t mean to say that, if it is psychosomatic, transgenders are irrevocably insane. I’m just saying that people make mistakes, and fixing it requires understanding the problem – in the case of dysphoria possibly being psychosomatically caused.

4. mariwm says:

As much as I absolutely despise being dysphoric, and I know that dysphoria can never truly be 100 percent cured from transitioning, I could never just throw it away. My name, my gender, as silly as it all sounds its a part of who I am. There are things that I know would change about me if I chose to live as a man, I just don’t think I could be Mari even if I did choose to be the most feminine man I could be. I’m going to be honest the idea of a dysphoria cure seems like dying to me, as it would change so many things about who I am and how I live. I think the person I am today would be no more, and that’s a scary feeling. I don’t know if that’s just the dysphoria talking, the desperate want to be a real woman, but I do know that I’m about 99 percent sure I could never go back and choose to live as a man, dysphoria cure or no.